Monday, November 9, 2009

First Things First: Nailing down hair care and caffeine!!!


Thought I'd post a picture of Toby as I'm starting to get the hang of posting pictures.
Snapfish wasn't working for me to post on the expats blog, so I opened an account at Picasa. Still have lots to learn, of course, but at least I could post this!!! I'd like to post more cat pix and a pic of myself for my expats profile. It'll happen.
Actually a lot has happened since I last wrote here, even though it doesn't feel like it. I've spoken with Amanda, who handles the excess baggage, and she is arranging for people in my area to come and give me a quote. I've made an appointment for Toby to get his final rabies update on Wednesday at 3. I've sent in the information for the lease car, ordered a mobile phone from UK Pro, and attempted to open a UK bank account (we'll see how that pans out. I may need a do-over.) Today I ordered the hair dryer and flat iron that I'll need for reasonable UK hair, and another converter-y thing to make sure the hair dryer will work. I figure if I have hair appliances and a coffeemaker I can get through the first few days at least. I'm hoping to go over toward the end of January to have some time to look at property before induction starts. The relo company hooked me up with some places to stay in Maidstone until KCC moves us to the Maidstone Hilton on 7 February. There's a B&B I like but will wait to reserve until I've nailed down my airline ticket.
Oh, and the techie thread on the expats forum turned me on to a neat way to preserve my desktop computer bookmarks, so when I fire up my laptop on the first wireless connection I find across the Pond, they should all be there. I'm excited about that. And I learned to post pictures too!!! Not bad for one day, especially considering everything ELSE I've already done today!!!


2 comments:

  1. Ah,Toby looks so soft and cuddly!

    You getting excited? I know I am getting excited for you,and I've some time to go.

    How far are you going to be from London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, why am I so lame about checking my blog??? Yes, I am getting excited. I'm thinking I may be able to leave anytime after the 25th, to give time for packing, me to ship back transcription equipment, getting Toby firmly situated, and so forth. Then depending on when my stuff's packed and I'm leaving, couch surfing for a few days. It's all good!!!

    I will be, I don't know how many miles or km from London but 37 minutes on the high-speed train (they call it High Speed One) from the Ashford station. As it turns out, I will fly into Gatwick as the coach (bus) from there to Maidstone is only about an hour. But I hafta figure out whether to come into East Maidstone or West Maidstone.

    ReplyDelete