Thursday, October 22, 2009

Voltage schmoltage . . .

Called Gateway to find out how to use my computer tower in the UK since it didn't appear to have the switch I had heard of to switch the voltage. No no, can't talk to Gateway cuz your warranty is out of date. You can contact chat online though. OK, cool. Did that and the upshot is, the computer accepts both US and UK voltages, so you don't need a converter. Didn't say you don't need an ADAPTER though. I think I will.

And here's a funny from the instructions on the transformer I bought at Brookstone coming back from the interview trip.

"Not for use with low-watt appliances such as electric shavers, battery chargers and curling irons. Also not for use with high-watt electronics such as stereos, TVs, DVD players, computers and massagers."

So, I'm off to check the web for medium-watt appliances and see if I have any. Oh yeah, after reading the electronics sticky on the expats forum it looks like I could bring the potential new monitor and printer, although both will need adapters. But not the TV, cuz you can't get UK programs on US TVs. Different broadcast standards. And I can bring an ASDL modem if I have one (I don't), but cable modems don't work there. (Good, cuz the cable company here provides mine.) So, they have broadband but it doesn't run through cable??? Not sure.

All I know is that if I can't use my flat iron PDQ in the UK my hair is gonna revert to Chaka Khan mode. I've already been told not to bring it and try to use it with an adapter or converter. Gotta buy a new one. Oh well, it won't kill me to look like Chaka Khan. It won't be the first time, or the last.

Sounds like Boots the chemist (drugstore) and ASDA (Wal-Mart equivalent) will be seeing a lot of me at first. Oh yeah, but you can buy electronic converter-y things in boot sales - - but I don't know what those are. Like, somebody lifts the boot of their car and sells stuff outta it??? Will hafta ask.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    If I were you, I'd hold off on making any electronics purchases to you get to the UK...although I understand your concern about your hair iron.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Kris - - it's tempting but it'd be awful to spend the money and have them not work there . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy... all you'll need to do is purchase a new mains cable when you get here (Kent, UK). Easy peasy... I've done it myself. An adapter is just a plug thing. The new cable will have a UK plug attached. Jane (from ex-pat forum)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane!!! I'm not up for buying another $35 Brookstone global converter here in the US. Ready to just deal when I get there. Can't wait!!! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete