Saturday, January 9, 2010

Toby's ready . . .

Got his paperwork back from the USDA in Austin. Not without drama. He had 2 rabies vaccine certificates, one from January 27 (which would have been good for my original Kent start date) and one from November 11 (by which time start dates had been pushed to February.) One said he was a DSH and one a DLH. The vet who had declared him DLH called me and asked which was true. I said DLH. She said the other vet had called him DSH and they needed to redo their paperwork. I called the other vet to give them a heads up. Apparently USDA called them about 3 different things before things were finally set right. Fed Ex brought the completed paperwork back to me from the USDA Thursday and I faxed it to Dana, the pet mover, on Friday. When I drop him off at Traveling Tails on January 27, I need to bring his 3-page USDA paperwork (actually it's an EU health certificate with the USDA's approval), his 2 rabies vaccines, and a copy of his rabies titer. Got em all and he's ready.

I also donated some clothes to Goodwill this week. Next week I will call and arrange with the Salvation Army to come and pick up furniture. I have next week and the week after to get the apartment clear of furniture I don't want to take. Then the week of the 25th, I will be completely off work and can devote my full attention to whatever remains to be done. The packers and movers are coming on the 28th. The plan is to stay in Michael's apartment after the movers are done until I hafta go to the airport on the 30th, but his apartment is being worked on by the owners. Hopefully they will be done by then, but if not I can always stay in a Fairfield Inn, as I've done in the past when I needed temporary housing. Or maybe something cheaper, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Oh yeah, I quit one of my jobs this week as I was having equipment issues and needed the time to deal with moving. I feel more relaxed than I did. It really makes weekends a lot easier - - I was able to work out last night and today I finally went back to the "Nine Lives" bookstore, which I've been wanting to do for ages. Picked up a couple books for the trip and petted the resident kitties. And talked to the cashier, who in the past went to England to take part in a "Canterbury Tales" reenactment complete with chain mail. Very pre-9/11. 1978, in fact. The security people were confounded even then though. I don't think they're used to seeing a lot of, uh, ARMOR. Like, knight-wear. LOL!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I came over to say Hi from the AmExPats in UK forum. Thanks so much for the suggestion on Icon. By any chance would you be willing to run down the list of tasks that Icon has done for you in prep for your move? Thanks!! Best of luck with your exciting upcoming move! Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, sorry Susannah, I never remember to check my blog for comments. I think I have an email from them somewhere detailing what they are able to do - - I'll send it to you if you wanna PM me on the AE forum - - but basically, they have linked me with the movers, helped me get a bank account (very important!), and are taking me flat-hunting when I get to the UK. They also directed me when I was having my issues with international mail forwarding. I feel like any time I've had a question I can email them and if they don't know they will find out. They've been a godsend - - can't imagine managing the relo without them. Oh yeah, if they help you find a flat they back you for 60 days - - apparently British flats need negotiating on the leases - - so I think it's important to have that backup. They will do pet moving too but I had set that up myself a long time ago. That's also a very complicated process. I forget who it was on the forum but somebody posted that she would never move her animals herself - - and she's an animal professional - - it's just too intense.

    I apologize again for the lateness in getting back to you.

    ReplyDelete